As the weather gets colder here in Nottingham… (I’m not kidding, layer up kids) it makes me remember my city break away to Amsterdam back in February.
When my boyfriend and I decided to book flights to Amsterdam, I immediately started the countdown. This beautifully chilled city took my breath away and soared right to the top of my favourite destinations list.
The city known for its taboo tourist attractions has much more to boast about, other than its, let’s say, “particular” tasting brownies. Lose yourself in mazed streets, walk alongside the narrow canals and try your luck trying to cross a road while being met by zooming bicycles.
In this blog post, I intend to be your Amsterdam guru and let you know all the best features Amsterdam has to offer!! From the Anne Frank House to Madame Tussauds, all you need to know is right here!
Places you MUST see:
- Anne Frank House
Anne Frank’s Diary was one of my favourite books when I was younger so of course, I was 100% willing to queue for two and a half hours to go on a tour of her house. It was an amazing and bizarre opportunity that the world renowned story of Anne Frank and her hideaway was all right there in front of me. Even if you don’t particularly know anything about it, this tour will certainly leave you educated and amazed.
This newly remodelled museum definitely revealed my hidden interest in the Dutch art. The pieces were absolutely stunning and I felt like such a sophisticated tourist strolling round this exhibits displayed. It definitely was a cultural day spent as the museum possesses around 8,000 objects, so a day was definitely needed. The gardens surrounding the Rijksmuseum also added to the magnificent sights of this location in Amsterdam and concluded the day of exploring nicely.
- Heineken Museum
Ironically, I’m not a fan of Heineken but my boyfriend is so I was up for the experience and it definitely lived up to that. The Heineken Experience is a tourist spot that’s been created in the old Heineken brewery. They no longer brew the beer here anymore, instead they have created an active tour for visitors to learn the history while also tasting the process of creating the golden brew. The ticket is definitely worth it as it includes a two hour tour, along with two free beers.
- Amsterdam Dungeons
This was up there with one of my favourite experiences. The Amsterdam Dungeons is an interactive journey into the darker side of Amsterdam’s history. This attraction includes live actors, special effects and exhilarating story-telling which definitely gave my senses a run for their money. Perfect if you and your travel companion want to have a laugh while getting spooked at this attraction.
- Madame Tussauds
Like typical tourists, my boyfriend and I just had to visit Madame Tussauds. It’s just one of those things you MUST do if you get the chance. This was definitely a good laugh and is the type of tourist attraction that suits us perfectly as we were able to take funny selfies which were matched with lots of witty captions and shamelessly uploaded to Snapchat!
Top tips you must know when going to Amsterdam:
- A top tip for saving yourself some money on this trip is buying a ticket bundle. When we were buying tickets for the Amsterdam Dungeons we were offered a ticket for a discounted price to Madame Tussauds.
- BEWARE of pit pockets. Amsterdam is an incredibly safe city, but like all big cities there is the risk. Particularly in big crowds of people and in Centraal Station.
- Purchase a hop-on, hop-off canal ride. This way you can take a more scenic mode of transport to each of your desired attractions.
- Look both ways when crossing bike lanes, trust me. Bikes are the most popular mode of transport around Amsterdam and they don’t wait for anyone!! Bike lanes are marked out for your own safety so be aware of them and don’t walk along them.
- Make sure you take as many pictures as humanely possible. One of the most picturesque cities in the world, take advantage of it every second.
Amsterdam is easily up there with one of my favourite cities, and I would return in a heartbeat!! I really hope you enjoyed this blog post, whether it has made you want to go to Amsterdam or just any city in Europe!!
Thank you so much for reading, and watch this space for a new blog post coming soon!!